If you have a tooth that’s been broken, infected or weakened, it may still be possible to save it. Dental crowns from your dentist at Sebastian River Dentistry in Sebastian, FL offer protection for damaged teeth, helping them stay healthy and preventing the need to have them removed.
How Dental Crowns Work
A dental crown is a covering for your tooth that prevents infection, fracture and excessive wear. It completely seals off the tooth to keep bacteria out and to hold the tooth structure steady and strong.
Crowns are frequently used for teeth that have been:
- Severely decayed
- Treated with root canal therapy
A dental crown can typically be expected to last for at least seven years, and potentially up to several decades. Your results will depend on the type of material used, your dental hygiene habits and the type of forces your teeth experience from chewing, grinding or impact.
A variety of materials can be used to create your crown. Some of the most common ones include:
- Porcelain or ceramic: The most natural-looking options, these materials can be created to match the shade of your surrounding teeth for a bright smile.
- Metal: The strongest and most resilient choice for teeth with heavy wear, such as the molars.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: This type of crown combines the strength of metal with the attractive look of porcelain for a smile that’s both strong and beautiful.
- Zirconia: This is a kind of ceramic material that’s especially strong and resilient. Crowns made with zirconia are comparable in strength to metal crowns while offering the most lifelike appearance of all materials.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each type of crown, and the decision is unique to each person. Your dentist will talk with you about the pros and cons of each, and help you decide which one is best for you.
General & Cosmetic Dentist in Sebastian, FL
Dental crowns offer extra reinforcement for weakened teeth, and they can also create a natural look for teeth that are visible when you smile. If you need treatment for a damaged tooth and are hoping for a way to save it, talk to your dentist in Sebastian, FL about how a crown can help.
Dr. Mark A. Peterson can help you improve both the health and appearance of your smile with a custom-made dental crown. To schedule your appointment, call Sebastian River Dentistry at (772) 388-3119 or request your appointment now.